charles w. phellis
Born in 1875 on a farm near Mechanicsburg, Ohio, the son of a successful importer of horses and cattle, Charles Phellis owned his first horse at the age of eighteen and from then on became a trotting horse enthusiast. After college and marriage in 1893, he began to build a racing stable. He never tired of racing and selling and buying good horses and, with Fred Egan driving, Phellis reached his goal and won the Hambletonian in 1940 with Spencer Scott. He was a Hambletonian winner twice after that with Miss Tilly in 1949 and Emily's Pride in 1958. Phellis was active in The Trotting Club, The Hambletonian Society and The Grand Circuit and was a founder of The Hall of Fame of the Trotter, now known as the Harness Racing Museum & Hall of Fame. Charles Phellis was 81 when he died in 1957.
Published in the Harness Racing Museum's 1994 book, The Immortals