It was largely due to the efforts of "The Colonel" William Edwards that the Cleveland Driving Park Company was formed in the 1870s. Under his leadership, the company took over the track and equipment of the Cleveland Club in nearby Glenville, giving one or two meets each season for three decades. Edwards was also one of the founders of the Grand Circuit in 1871. The idea for a racing circuit originated in Cleveland in a discussion between Edwards and representatives of three other tracks. Their circuit was called the Quadrilateral Trotting Combination and had its first season in 1873.
Published in the Harness Racing Museum's 1994 book, The Immortals